Thursday, July 24, 2008

The ICE is Melting

Over the last couple of days I removed the ICE components from the car. The first step was to drain the gas tank. There wasn't much to drain because I tried to use up all of the gas. I used the fuel pump to transfer the gas to this can and ended up getting about 2 gallons out.



Next I used the great engine removal procedure from the Pelican Parts tech articles. The transmission and engine are held in the car by 2 bolts at the engine and 2 bolts at the rear of the transmission. After disconnecting all of the cables, the gas lines, and the exhaust components it was a simple matter to unbolt the engine and transmission and lower them to a dolly on the ground. After that I separated the engine and transmission and here is the result.





I have the engine listed for sale in Craig's List. I hope it will be gone soon.

After I got the engine and transmission out the last thing to remove was the gas tank.

Here it is in the car.



And here it is out.



Now that the ICE components are all out of the car the conversion can begin in earnest. Next up is installing the controller.

But before I can do that I have to leave tomorrow for a week long business trip to China. Here's a preview of that.



This is the Great Wall which I visited on a previous trip.

No comments: