Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Getting a Donor Car















Well I have finally taken the next step and started the conversion for the 914 from gas to electric. I should probably give a little history since I am starting this blog somewhat late.

I first got the idea that I wanted an electric car about 2 years ago. When I started researching the subject I settled on a 914 to convert because it appeared to have the best opportunity for range. Range is my most important consideration since I have an 80 mile (roundtrip) commute and this is what I wanted an electric car for.

The donor car I chose was purchased on Ebay for $750.00. It probably sounds like this was a really bad car for so low a price but I got extremely lucky. The seller got it in a storage shed auction and had no keys so nothing was tested. My criteria was to get a car from California or Nevada because I thought that it would have the best chance of having only a little rust. It turns out that I was right and this car had almost none. Even though it had little rust it was in bad need of restoration as you can see in the pictures.

Next step is the restoration.

No comments: