Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Restoration Begins






After getting the car home I got the car running enough to get a state inspection since I couldn't register it in Texas without one. I was surprised to find that everything worked after some cleanup so after getting it registered I took everything off and out and sent it to the body shop for paint. That took much longer than I expected but when it was finished I was happy with the work. While that was going on I was cleaning, painting, and powder coating everything I had taken off. I took all of the upholstery items to a shop and had them redone at the same time.

About two years ago I went to an EV rally in Palo Alto. What stuck in my mind after that day was that all of the homebrew conversions I saw were ugly cars. These were all cars that I would be embarrassed to drive. I decided than that I would not have an EV that looked like those cars.

During the time that the restoration was going on I ordered the 914 AC kit from ElectroAutomotive. I'm glad I ordered it when I did. It took so long to get it that I would have been very upset if I had finished the restoration and was still waiting for parts.

After getting the car back from the body shop I spent many more months re-assembling everything. This turned out to be much more work than I expected but the results were worth it.

No comments: